Sunday, October 23, 2011

That '70s House

I moved about a month ago and I love my “new” house. Morning Kris and her husband winter in Arizona and they offered to let me live at their house while they’re gone for a very affordable price. I was extremely hesitant about moving in at first for a number of reasons. The first being that I would be sharing the house with their nephew Jesse whom I’d never met before. The second being that they wouldn't be in Arizona for the entire school year meaning that we would be sharing the house for a number of weeks. Also, when I first walked into the house I was very surprised to see how outdated everything was. The house is tidy and well kept, but everything looks like it’s from the '70s. Let me show you what I mean. There is orange shag carpet everywhere, even on the stairs. Also, note the stone floor in the hallway. I think the Bradys had a similar feature in their house.


My bedroom is in the basement and that's where I spend most of my time. I haven't used it yet, but we have a sweet orange pool table.


I spend most of my time lying on this couch reading. As you can see, the furniture is quite old, too. It's still comfy, though. While the basement floor is tiled, they managed to cover it with an orange rug.


Our bathroom is super-rad. It has double sinks, jungle wallpaper, and a vanity that's so old I'm pretty sure it's back in style.



Here's our lovely kitchen. Once again, notice the orange counter tops.


I've never used the dining room, but it has orange shag carpet and really neat gold wallpaper.


My room recently had some water damage so it was completely redone with nice new carpet, new dry wall and a fresh coat of paint. However, the color they picked for the walls was orange. Also, I had a goal to make my bed everyday this year and I'm still going strong.


Despite the fact that my house looks like it belongs in the '70s I still love living here. It really feels like home. Morning Kris and her husband were here for the first two weeks that I lived here and instead of it being awkward it was a ton of fun. We'd sit down and chat together every night and talk about our days together. It really felt nice to be living with a family. My first day there morning Kris said, "Would you mind telling us when you leave and when you'll be coming back? I'm not trying to be intrusive, I'm just a mom and I know I'll worry about you." I always made sure they knew where I was and it felt nice to be cared about. I love my house.

Note: I also thought about naming this post "Orange You Glad You Get to See My House?" but I thought the current title was better.

5 comments:

Renae Ann said...

I love the wall paper in the dining room!

Shelby said...

you're right, that vanity is totally rad! I thought you were going to say it's the one thing that's been redone. I also love the dining room wallpaper.

Joleen said...

I so wish you HAD named your title something about orange. Holy cow that's a lot of orange.

Melissa said...

That is quite the house! I dig the bathroom. Both blog title options are excellent. You make me want to write cooler titles on my blog.

Stacie said...

ahh... all the patterns make me anxious. I would be a very anxious person if I lived in your house.